Thursday, July 22, 2010

La la la Alaminos, Laguna: Part 3

* the Rizal statue I have earlier mentioned which has a lady included; I wonder who she is/was: Liberty? Justice?

* the church of Nuestra Señora del Pilar, founded in 1815


* the bell I have also mentioned earlier which has those curious inscriptions; too bad the church was close at that time, I could have asked the caretaker to take me to the tower

* the Al-Iman mosque, found just a short walk away from the town hall

* the Alaminos town hall; more or less created shortly after the American period (just tentative action in figuring out the era when buildings and/or houses are built)

I have earlier posted two accounts of my visit to the town of Alaminos and as I have felt that they were rather incomplete (that is, I was not able to take pictures of things and places there), I decided to embark on a re-visit to the town. (Perhaps the first of the many re-visits that I shall be doing, given the resources and time, in the future.)

The name ‘Alaminos’ certainly has that Spanish feel on it. But on digging in about the town, it was not even its original name. It was in the past called Trencheria. And having this notion that old names during the pre-Hispanic times were usually used to describe the terrain, or the features of the place, I am venturing to say that the place had probably trenches or some kind of feature connected to it. It was still then a barrio of the town of San Pablo, which was still under the jurisdiction of the province of Batangas. In 1873 it became a separate town but was placed under the province of Laguna.

That Spanish feel in the name of this town came from Capitan General Juan de Alaminos Nivera who at that time was administrating the province of Batangas. 1902 witnessed its return to the town of San Pablo. It has finally obtained its town status up to the present in 1916.

In the past, it seemed only to me a transient town, one that should be passed through in going to Manila. Now that I am more than just merely interested in knowing the towns I pass by whenever I travel, it was exciting to know the many little treasures that the town has. I am only talking as far as the town proper is concerned. Who knows, perhaps in its rural barangays, more can be discovered that are of great interest not only to a history buff but to an Alaminos resident as well who has the desire to know more about his town.

Later, I shall be sharing what I love looking for the most in the towns I visit – casas!

(The first two parts about Alaminos can be read here: Part 1, Part 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment