Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Serene Town of San Antonio, Quezon

* Sacred Heart of Jesus Church

* the interior of the church (find the cat!)

* image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

* image of San Antonio de Padua

The visit to San Antonio, Quezon was long overdue. I have always wanted to drop off the town whenever I pass by it but we were only able to do this recently.

Nestled in the midst of vast farmlands and coconut fields, the town has that rural atmosphere. When we visited, the afternoon was characterized by serenity often experienced during siesta times.

I do not intend to be extensive in my sharing here. The website of a friend about San Antonio, Quezon (see the site here) should prove informative. There are only two things that I desire to know and perhaps the moderator of San Antonio Webs can help me. There was that monument for a man in a mini-park but I did not see any marking stating the man’s identity. Also, I think it would be good to know more about Maria Amparo K. Dimayuga, an important San Antonio resident I assume. To have a local park named after her signifies that has played an important role in the town. I would like to learn about her and what she did.

* view of a mini-park along the main road in San Antonio

* monument for a man whose name was unfortunately not placed
on
any plaque or on any inscription

* monument in memory of the San Antonio guerillas who fought during World War II;
notice the silent defiance etched on the face of the guerilla

* white fountain at the Maria Amparo K. Dimayuga Park

* a bust of Maria Amparo K. Dimayuga found in the park named after her

(I also wonder if the town library is still open to the townsfolk. It seemed that the tables inside have already gathered dirt and dust. I hope they are using the library. There are lots of books inside that the young ones can read and enjoy.)

* the town library

* view of the library interior

* Trailer Pransis striking a pose at the park

Finally, as I have become deeply interested in the events in the country during World War II, I would share a partial list of San Antonio guerillas who fought against the invading Japanese forces during the war. On the veteran marker, there were four main groups to which San Antonio residents joined to do guerilla warfare. They were the USAFFE-PA, P.Q.O.G., USAFIPNL, and FA.I.T.

Under USAFFE-PA were Sofio G. Caraos, Maximo D. Castillo, Marcos I. Quinto, Gregorio P. Quizon, and Dionisio M. Pasumbal. Felix B. Badiola joined USAFIPNL, and Pedro L. Mission and Agustin V. Silva joined F.A.I.T. I shall try to enumerate those who joined P.Q.O.G. next time as the list is quite long.

No comments:

Post a Comment