Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Arsenio H. Lacson Monument in Manila


As I hustle to beat my self-imposed deadline of reporting all my travels during the year, I found this file on the Arsenio H. Lacson Monument in Manila which I took during the early days of summer. It is a good time to recall this former mayor of Manila as he was was on December 26, 1912.

He was, as the Manileños saw, an accomplished newspaperman, actor, athlete, and congressman. He was the first elected mayor of Manila in 1952 and earned the title Manila’s Fightingest Mayor (I have no idea what the term fightingest mean but that was what I have read in his monument). He was awarded as the Man of the Year by the Manila Rotary Club, Manila Lions Club, and Manila Chamber of Commerce. He died on April 15, 1962.

The transfer of Plaza Lacson, now found near Santa Cruz Church, was done on December 15, 2003.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment